In this section
Prior to starting her doctoral studies, Karen was a Senior Research Fellow at CSRM.
Karen’s 12 years of professional experience brings together several dimensions of CSRM’s focus. Karen has worked across public policy, regional governance, corporate social responsibility and sustainable development themes in a natural resource management (NRM) context. More recently, Karen has been involved in stakeholder engagement and social impact assessment in the mining and infrastructure sectors.
She has a keen interest in the socio-political dynamics at the interface between companies, communities and governments and in seeking ways for companies and communities to thrive in mutually beneficial and sustainable ways.
Prior to joining CSRM, Karen contributed to various projects and consultancies including:
- A series of community engagement and SIA consultancies in the infrastructure and mining sectors;
- An award-winning business case profiling CSR in water sanitation (as co-author);
- The development the NSW standard and targets for natural resource management;
- The development of an evaluation framework for contributions to Chapter 14 of Agenda 21, a project management toolkit for sustainable development and a series of policy briefs for the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) in Rome;
- An evaluation of the role of government in agricultural research and development;
- The New South Wales (NSW) water reform process (as an advisor with the (former) NSW Environment Protection Authority).
Karen’s undergraduate degree in Agricultural Science (Hons) was from the University of Queensland and her Masters in Politics and Public Policy from Macquarie University.
Projects at CSRM
Publications for CSRM
- Franks, D.M., McNab, K, Brereton, D, Cohen, T, Weldegiorgis, F, Horberry, T, Lynas, D, Garcia-
Vasquez, M, Oñate Santibáñez, B, Barnes, R and McLellan, B. 2013. Designing Mining
Technology for Social Outcomes: Final Report of the Technology Futures Project. Prepared
for CSIRO Minerals Down Under Flagship, Minerals Futures Cluster Collaboration, by the
Centre for Social Responsibility in Mining & the Minerals Industry Safety and Health Centre,
Sustainable Minerals Institute, The University of Queensland. Brisbane.
- McNab, K., Keenan, J., Brereton, D., Kim, J., Kunanayagam, R. and T. Blathwayt (2012). Beyond Voluntarism: The Changing Role of Corporate Social Investment in the Extractives Sector. Centre for Social Responsibility in Mining, The University of Queensland. Brisbane.
- McNab, K.L. and Garcia-Vasquez, M. 2011. Autonomous and remote operation technologies in Australian mining. Prepared for CSIRO Minerals Down Under Flagship, Mineral Futures Cluster Collaboration, by the Centre for Social Responsibility in Mining, Sustainable Minerals Institute, The University of Queensland. Brisbane